COVID-19 Update: All members and visitors need to make a reservation in advance of their visit to the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. Find updates and information here.
By Reba Luiken, Arboretum coordinator of informal interpretation
The world is looking more green than white outside, and it feels like spring might be coming soon. (Or has it already arrived?) Enjoy some colorful fun with this easy activity that might just give you a headstart on your spring cleaning!
– 1/4 cup dish soap
– 1/2 cup water
– Lime and/or lime juice (optional)
– Food coloring (optional)
– Large bowl for foam
– Cups, spoons, and other things for play
– Glass surface (optional)
1. Gather your ingredients and supplies.
2. Add 1/4 cup dish soap and 1/2 cup water to the blender. Add in lime juice if you’d like to give the mixture a fresh citrus scent!
3. Consider adding food coloring. What color would you need to add to make it green? My dish soap was blue, so I added a couple drops of yellow food coloring to make green foam.
4. Turn on the blender to mix up the solution and watch it grow. As the blender’s blades move, they help to add air into the mixture, making bubbles.
5. Pour the mixture onto a large bowl, pan, or shallow dish and head outside or somewhere else it’s okay to get a little bit messy with soap.
6. Get up close to the foam. Feel it with your hands. Scoop it with a bowl. See if you can get a lime slice or a leaf to float on top.
7. You can also play with the foam on a flat surface like a glass table or window. With all that soap, it might even be cleaner when you’re finished than when you started!